- CBA on
- CBA Media
Telephone Consumer Protection Act
In 1991, when wireless phones were deemed a “luxury item,” the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) was enacted to address certain telemarketing practices considered an invasion of consumer privacy, including calls to wireless phones (but not calls to landline phones). Today, 90% of Americans own wireless telephones, and 58.8% of households are mostly or entirely wireless-only. Though consumer preferences have changed, the TCPA has not. It continues to prohibit calls and messages to wireless phones even though they have clearly surpassed landline phones as the preferred means of communication. Without common sense reforms to modernize the TCPA, consumers will be unable to receive normal, expected communications about time-sensitive information on their mobile devices. CBA called upon the Federal Communications Commission to clarify existing rules to eliminate unintended litigation risk harming consumers and compliance driven businesses. CBA has advocated to Congress to update the TCPA to facilitate normal, expected and desired communications to consumers, and provide businesses with clarity when contacting customers.
- April 18, 2018April 17, 2018 The Honorable John Thune Chairman Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation U.S. Senate 512 Dirksen Senate Office Building Washington, D.C. 20510 The Honorable Bill Nelson Ranking Member Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation U.S. Senate 512 Dirksen Senate Office Building Washington, D.C. 20510 Dear Chairman Thune and Ranking Member Nelson, The undersigned...
- April 18, 2018WASHINGTON - The Consumer Bankers Association (CBA) submitted a letter to the Senate Commerce Committee thanking committee members for their work to stop abusive robocalls. The letter also expresses the retail banking industry’s commitment to working with legislators and regulators to protect consumers from illegal calls, while clarifying the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) guidance to...
- September 25, 2017September 13, 2017 VIA Electronic Submission Ms. Marlene H. Dortch, Secretary Federal Communications Commission 44 12 th Street SW Washington, D.C., 20554 Re: Reply Comments on Notice of Inquiry Regarding Call Authentication Trust Anchor, WC Docket No. 17-97. Dear Ms. Dortch, The Consumer Bankers Association (“CBA”)  appreciates the opportunity to respond to the Federal Communication...
- September 25, 2017September 22, 2017 VIA Electronic Submission Ms. Marlene H. Dortch, Secretary Federal Communications Commission 44 12 th Street SW Washington, D.C., 20554 Re: Reply Comments on Second Notice of Inquiry Regarding Advanced Methods to Target and Eliminate Unlawful Robocalls, CG Docket No. 17-59. Dear Ms. Dortch, The Consumer Bankers Association (“CBA”)  appreciates the opportunity to respond to...
- September 22, 2017CBA LIVE 2018 Registration Now Open CBA LIVE is back for 2018, and we are going “Beyond the Bank.” The banking industry is transforming across the board. From consumer interactions to digital capabilities the banking world is moving beyond brick and mortar. With 90 hours of programming and attendance from retail banking’s most senior leaders, CBA LIVE 2018 is this year’s can’t miss event. Join us...
- June 13, 2017On Tuesday, June 13, 2017, the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice held a hearing entitled, “Lawsuit Abuse and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).” Hearing witnesses included Rob Sweeney, Founder and CEO of Mobile Media Technologies which facilitates non-profit text communications; Becca Wahlquist, Partner at Snell & Wilmer, representing the Chamber of...June 12, 2017June 12, 2017 The Honorable Steve King The Honorable Steve Cohen Chairman Ranking Member Subcommittee on the Constitution and Subcommittee on the Constitution and Civil Justice Civil Justice Committee on the Judiciary Committee on the Judiciary U.S. House of Representatives U.S. House of Representatives Washington, D.C. 20515 Washington, D.C. 20515 Dear Chairman King and Ranking Member Cohen: The...March 17, 2017Three Weeks to CBA LIVE: Get Your Boots and Jeans Ready! With record-breaking banker attendance, a sold-out exhibit hall and over 1,300 attendees, CBA LIVE: Where [ it ] Begins is 2017's biggest retail banking event of the year. Be sure to join us in Dallas, April 3-5, at the Gaylord Texan to catch entrepreneur, Heisman Trophy winner and former Dallas Cowboys Quarterback Roger Staubach ,...March 10, 2017In a joint letter to the FCC, trade groups highlight negative impacts the Petition for Rulemaking and Declaratory Ruling will have on businesses and consumers Washington, D.C. – The American Financial Services Association, the Consumer Bankers Association, the Credit Union National Association, the Financial Services Roundtable, National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions, and the...